Phone (503) 740-5509 Toll-Free (877) 740-5509


What is a Class 12 Washington Liquor License?

What is a Class 12 Washington Liquor License?

By Wally Rohde

Washington state liquor laws mandate that anyone who works in an environment that serves or supervises the consumption of alcohol must have either a class 12 liquor license/permit or a class 13 permit. But what exactly is a class 12 Washington liquor license? We’ll dive into what this Washington alcohol license is, who needs it, and how it affects your career in restaurants, bartending, and hospitality.

All About Class 12 Liquor License?

A Class 12 liquor license or alcohol permit in Washington is for any person who draws, mixes, or serves alcoholic beverages that is at least 21 years of age. Class 12 liquor license holders are also permitted to serve and pour beer and wine at a customer’s table. 

Class 12 liquor licenses are obtained after the successful completion of Washington’s MAST course (Mandatory Alcohol Server Training). Those who don’t already have a license upon hire must obtain one from the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board within sixty days.

Why is MAST Training Necessary in Washington?

MAST Training became mandatory in 1995 after the state government mandated that anyone working with and serving alcohol must possess class 12 liquor license or class 13 license. 

MAST Training exists to reinforce the importance of safety practices when serving and preparing alcohol. In a perfect world, all patrons would be responsible and safe when it comes to the consumption of mind-altering beverages. However, businesses and servers face safety risks and liability when it comes to alcohol service.

That’s why servers, bartenders, and managers are trained in a variety of techniques to handle any potential dilemmas when it comes to serving alcohol. It also teaches new employees about the safe and responsible service of alcohol so that patrons are safe from harming themselves or others. While workers cannot control every aspect when it comes to alcohol safety, we can do our part by educating ourselves thoroughly before serving drinks to others.

Bartending licenses are not mandatory at a federal level, but many states and even counties impose their own training programs for the same reasons that Washington’s state does. We have also covered the best ways of getting a bartender license in Washington state.

How Long Does It Take to Get a Class 12 Permit?

Many courses online require students to take a training course that’s at least 3 hours long. This course generally consists of various modules for study followed by an examination. All of this is finished with a final exam in which you must receive at least an 80% grade to receive your license from the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board.

The MAST training asks very little time of prospective employees and goes a long way in preparing you to work in an alcohol-centric environment. Your license will also last for a total of 5 years after completing the online course. 

Get Your Class 12 Liquor License with A+ Server Education

A+ Server Education is committed to the education and betterment of bartenders and servers alike. While the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board (WSLCB) issues your license, they certify third parties like us to provide the necessary MAST training. You can register for the MAST Permit Course right on this very website! 

Afterward, you’ll receive the proof of completion necessary to obtain your Washington alcohol license. Start your new career the right way by mixing alcohol with the proper education.

For more information about A+ Server Education’s services, bartender license in Washington & Class 12 liquor license, give us a call today by phone at (503) 740-5509!

Recent Posts

California Responsible Beverage Service RBS

California Responsible Beverage Service (RBS) Online Training

By Wally Rohde

Why California Responsible Beverage Service RBS Training is Crucial for Servers Responsible beverage service? RBS…

One moment you're standing behind a busy bar, serving up pints to your eager crowd of customers. The next, you hear a commotion, and suddenly there's blood on the counter and a fleet of police cars in the lot. Where did you go wrong? Serving alcohol is a responsibility, and if your servers lack the appropriate training, one mistake could leave you liable for fines or liquor license revocation. Responsible beverage server training (or rbs training) can preserve the reputation of your businessor even save a life. That's why we've created this list of the best top 10 online alcohol server training courses. Your employees will love taking classes on their own schedules and return to work feeling confident about their serving skills. Effective training makes every business safer, friendlier, and more professional. Read on to discover your ten best options for easy, effective, and affordable online rbs courses. 1. A plus server education a plus server education is at the top of our list, with a google review score of 4.8/5.0. This high-quality program offers effortless, accessible online courses for prospective servers in 15 states, addressing the unique requirements of each. Reviewers rave that a plus rbs training is affordable, making professional development possible on any budget. They offer the entire course online, making it possible to build your professional skills from anywhere. That doesn't mean their standards are low. Their comprehensive alcohol training modules result from twenty-five years of experience in the hospitality industry, addressing the fundamental information servers need on the job. This company takes training seriously. They believe that a responsible beverage server has the power to save a life. This is the course to take if you genuinely want to make a difference and learn skills you can put to use during your next shift. 2. Serving alcohol inc serving alcohol inc provides several online training courses for bartenders, including an rbs course that satisfies most insurance companies. The classes are accessible and affordable, and answer your most frequently asked questions. You can download and print a certificate of completion immediately upon finishing the course, whether it takes you a day or six months. 3. Liquorexam liquorexam offers excellent online rbs training options for corporations. Their system makes it easy to distribute codes to employees across a franchise. This can help ensure that all training is consistent across locations, so every server and manager is equally equipped to provide superlative service. 4. 360 training 360 training offers flexible online server training courses for individuals or businesses. One perk of this program is that you can complete the course entirely on a mobile device, making it extra accessible. You can also take food handler training courses from this provider, which makes it a good choice for restaurants. 5. Abc permits abc permits is a small organization owned by a husband and wife with many combined years of experience in the hospitality industry. While this option is more personal than nationwide alternatives, they only offer certification in tennessee, kentucky, and california. With that said, abc can create a private portal for your business to help track employee progress, which is a nice perk. 6. Servsafe servsafe offers flexible options for your rbs training course and examination. This provider offers a bilingual option, so employees can take the course and exam in spanish, if necessary. Clients appreciate the access to comprehensive training and exam preparation materials, including practice tests. 7. Responsible training servers love responsible training's online rbs course because they can quickly complete it in a single sitting. The average student can go through the full training in a few hours. The certificate will immediately be available in the rt online database, where you or your employees can print them at will. Their easy online system makes it simple to manage certifications for a group. If you buy courses in bulk, you can certify your entire staff in a single day. 8. Online alcohol class some states specifically require an alcohol awareness course that lasts a certain number of hours for insurance purposes. The online alcohol class training meets the requirements for 8, 10, 12, 16, 20, 21, 24, or 30-hour alcohol courses (and may not take the full number of hours, saving you time and money). Regardless of which course you need, all materials are 100% online, and certificates are free upon completion. 9. Rbspermit. Com rbspermit. Com only offers certification for servers in california, but it's an excellent resource for establishments with multilingual staff. They are one of the few online programs providing english, spanish, cantonese, mandarin, and korean materials. The courses are fully-narrated and include practice materials and a practice exam. Most participants finish the course and receive a permit in 90 minutes, making it one of the fastest options available. Note that rbs training is now mandatory in the state of california, and these courses meet the new requirements. 10. Suresellnow this mobile-friendly online course takes the average user about two hours from start to finish. It concludes with a simple, 20-question multiple-choice exam. It's an affordable option, and servers only need to retest once every three years. Best top 10 online alcohol server training courses serving alcohol is more than a gig. For responsible beverage servers, it's a responsibility. The best top 10 online alcohol server training courses above will ensure you have the knowledge you need to save a life. We recommend that you begin your training with the best. Browse our sterling reviews for yourself to learn why our satisfied clients are raving about online courses from a plus server education. We can't wait to teach you everything you need to know to bring your beverage-serving skills to the next level.

Best Top 10 Online Alcohol Server Training Courses

By Wally Rohde

Best Top 10 Online Alcohol Server Training Courses. One moment you’re standing behind a busy…

Requirements and How To Obtain a Louisiana RV Bar Card

By Wally Rohde

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are nearly 8,000 people employed as bartenders…