Phone (503) 740-5509 Toll-Free (877) 740-5509
FAQs Hero Header BG

Frequently Asked Questions

Montana RASS FAQ Alcohol Permit

Got Montana Alcohol Server Questions? We have answers.

Find answers to the most commonly asked Montana RASS FAQ about our online alcohol server classes. If you’re experiencing a problem or need help, the solution will be here. Please make sure to look through all of the FAQ Knowledge Base content before contacting us to ensure you get what you need as soon as possible. This page is for FAQs specifically about the Montana Alcohol Permit. If your question is of a more general nature, check out our General FAQs page.

If you can’t find an answer to your question after reviewing both pages, contact our support team.

  • What is a Montana Certificate of Completion?

    A Certificate of Completion is proof that you completed or online Montana Alcohol Server Education course; anyone who serves alcohol in restaurants, taverns, nightclubs, bars, lounges, private clubs, and similar businesses must complete this training course within 60 days of hire. The certificate is good for 3 years.

  • Why do I need a Montana alcohol server certification?

    Montana law requires you to have completed an alcohol server education course if you work at a business with a liquor license that allows customers to drink on the premises and you mix, serve, or sell alcohol in any manner. Managers who supervise employees who mix, serve, or sell alcohol must also complete the training.

  • What if just clear tables or work in the kitchen?

    If you set up and clear tables, work in the kitchen, check ID at the door, or work as a janitor, bouncer or security person, you do not need a service permit as long as you do not also mix, serve, or sell alcohol in any manner or supervise those who do.

  • What if I’m a hostess? Do I to take this training course?

    If as a host or hostess you just greet and seat customers, you do not need to take this training course. However, if you collect money from customers who have been drinking or ring up checks that include charges for alcohol, you are selling alcohol and must take this training course. If you roam the floor and sometimes help servers by delivering drinks to a table or refilling a customer’s glass of wine or beer, you are serving alcohol and you will need to complete this training course. Remember, the law says you must complete and pass this training course within 60 days of hire if you mix, serve, or sell alcohol in any manner.

  • How long is my Montana Alcohol permit good for?

    The Montana Alcohol Certificate of Completion will now expire three years from the date you pass the Alcohol Server Education final test.

  • What if I lose my permit or change my name?

    You must contact us by email or phone and let us know that you lost the document or that your name has changed and we will email you a new Certificate of Completion.

olcc worker permit cost
Montana Cocktails

The Montana Department of Revenue also has a Frequently Ask Questions PDF file that you can click on with answers to other questions you might have: Montana Liquor Control Division FAQ.

Get Started for $16.99 Now