Phone (503) 740-5509 Toll-Free (877) 740-5509
FAQs Hero Header BG

OLCC Service Permit FAQ

Get The Answers You Need About OLCC Service Permit FAQ Training and Cost

Got OLCC Questions? We have answers.

Find answers to the most commonly asked questions about our online alcohol server classes, Oregon OLCC service permit cost, etc. If you’re experiencing a problem or need help, the solution will be here. Please make sure to look through all of the FAQ Knowledge Base content before contacting us to ensure you get what you need as soon as possible. This page is for FAQs specifically about Oregon’s OLCC Alcohol Server Permit & OLCC rules and regulations. If your question is of a more general nature, check out our General FAQs page.

If you cannot find an answer about OLCC alcohol service permit cost or any other question after reviewing both pages, then contact our support team or click our chat button on the right side, and we will be more than happy to answer any of your questions.

  • What is an Oregon OLCC Alcohol Service Permit?

    An OLCC  Alcohol Service Permit is required for any person who sells, serves, or mixes alcoholic beverages, and for any person who supervises people who do. “Selling” alcohol includes taking orders, fulfilling or delivering orders, filling growlers, and accepting payment for alcohol. Service Permits are valid for five years and are non-transferable.

  • Why do I need an OLCC Alcohol Service Permit?

    Oregon law requires you to have a service permit if you work at a business with a liquor license that allows customers to drink on the premises and you mix, serve, or sell alcohol in any manner. Managers who supervise employees who mix, serve, or sell alcohol must also have a service permit. Employees of a licensed business must not sell or serve alcohol without a valid service permit.

  • What if I just clear tables or work in the kitchen?

    If you set up and clear tables, work in the kitchen, check ID at the door, or work as a janitor, bouncer or security person, you do not need a service permit as long as you do not also mix, serve, or sell alcohol in any manner or supervise those who do.

  • What if I’m a hostess? Do I need a service permit?

    If as a host or hostess you just greet and seat customers, you do not need a service permit. However, if you collect money from customers who have been drinking or ring up checks that include charges for alcohol, you are selling alcohol and need a service permit. If you roam the floor and sometimes help servers by delivering drinks to a table or refilling a customer’s glass of wine or beer, you are serving alcohol and need a service permit. Remember, the law says you must have a service permit if you mix, serve, or sell alcohol in any manner.

  • How do I qualify for a OLCC alcohol service permit?

    • You must be at least 18 years old. (If you are between 18 and 20 years old, there are restrictions on what you can do. See: What if I am between 18 and 20 years old? topic on this page.
    • You must complete the service permit application form supplied by the OLCC on their web portal.
    • You must take an Alcohol Server Education class. There’s a separate fee for the class of $16.99, which goes directly to the provider of the class.
  • How do I apply for an Oregon OLCC alcohol service permit?

  • When may I begin to work?

    You may begin working only after you have completed the permit application and downloaded the temporary permit from the OLCC web portal website. and your employer has verified your age. DO NOT MIX, SERVE, OR SELL ANY ALCOHOL UNTIL BOTH YOU HAVE COMPLETED THE APPLICATION AND DOWNLOADED OR PRINTED THE TEMPORARY PERMIT ISSUED ON THE OLCC WEB PORTAL WEBSITE.

    Your temporary permit must be available at all times while you are working until you receive your official permit.

olcc worker permit cost
Oregon Service Permit FAQ
  • Do I have to take an Oregon OLCC Alcohol Server Education Class?

    Yes, if you have not already passed a class within the past 2 years. You must complete an Alcohol Server Education class and pass the examination within 45 days after your application is submitted. For more information, see our Alcohol Server Education page or call 503-872-5133 in Portland or 1-800-452-6522, ext. 5133, elsewhere in Oregon.

    If you do not take and pass a class within 45 days, you will have to submit another application and fee. However, if you have to submit a second application, YOU WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE FOR ANOTHER TEMPORARY PERMIT. You will have to take and pass an Alcohol Server Education class before you can serve and sell alcohol again. Do not submit your second application until you take the class.

  • May I take an OLCC alcohol server education class before I submit an application?

    Yes. If you take and pass a class first, the class is good for 2 years. You may apply for a permit any time within those 2 years. However, if you submit an application first, the application is good for only 45 days.

    Remember, even if you take and pass a class first, you may not sell or serve alcohol without a valid service permit or a valid temporary permit.

  • Can I get a Oregon OLCC service permit before I find a job?

    Yes. Just visit the OLCC portal to submit and pay for your application.

  • What if I am between 18 and 20 years old?

    If you are 18, 19, or 20 years old, you can get a minor service permit. With a minor service permit, you may serve, pour, and draw alcoholic beverages only in areas of the business not prohibited to minors where alcohol service is secondary to food service. You may not mix drinks nor work as a bartender or cocktail server. You may enter and remain in areas prohibited to minors (such as a bar or lounge) only long enough to perform work-related duties such as:

    • Ordering and picking up drinks for service in areas not prohibited to minors (such as a dining room)
    • Clearing tables
    • Stocking supplies
    • Delivering food

    On your 21st birthday, these restrictions will no longer apply

  • How long is my Oregon OLCC alcohol service premit good for?

    An Oregon OLCC alcohol service permit will now expire five years from the date the Alcohol Server Education class was taken.

  • Do I have to have my Oregon OLCC permit on me when I’m working?

    The law says you must make your service permit “available at any time while on duty for immediate inspection” by an OLCC Inspector or Investigator or by a police officer. If your permit is in your wallet in the employee room, and you can produce it immediately, that would be okay. But if you left your permit at home or at another restaurant where you work, it would not be available for “immediate inspection.” (ORS 471.360)

  • What if I lose my permit or change my name?

    You must apply immediately for a duplicate or name change permit. Complete a service permit application form the same as if you were applying for a new permit.

  • What is OLCC Contact Information?

    Are you looking for contact information for the OLCC?

    Oregon Liquor and Cannabis Commission
    9079 SE McLoughlin Blvd.
    Portland, OR 97222

    Hours of Operation
    Office: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM

    You can visit OLCC’s website by clicking here.

  • How long is the OLCC Delivery Driver Certification Valid for?

    Upon successful completion of our online 3rd Party Delivery Driver Certification course, participants will receive a certificate that remains valid for three years.

  • What does the Delivery Driver Certification course cover?

    The Oregon Liquor Control Commission (OLCC) mandates that all Third-Party Delivery Driver training courses include the following topics: how to check identification, including methods of identifying, inspecting, and rejecting identification; how to recognize signs of intoxication; how to refuse delivery to an intoxicated person; and other rules related to the delivery of alcoholic beverages to customers.
  • What is a Third-Party Delivery Facilitator (TPDF)

    A Third-Party Delivery Facilitator (TPDF) refers to an individual, person, or company that either delivers or holds itself out as willing to deliver alcoholic beverages from an eligible business to a final consumer in Oregon, or facilitates or holds itself out as willing to facilitate the sale and delivery of alcoholic beverages by an eligible business to a final consumer in Oregon.

alcohol delivery driver